You have Questions about our Product?
Here we answer the most frequently asked questions.
If you can't find an Answer to your QUestion, please give us a note:
What is special about the release binding? Why do you think foot injuries can be prevented?
We have developed a force-controlled release binding that protects against rotation injuries in the foot area. The binding with the patent-pending release mechanism also offers better board control and more stable handling than conventional bindings. Particularly innovative: the movement that leads to the injury opens the foot strap.
Is the binding we see the final product ?
For now this is a “concept car” and we are working currently to make it come to live. For the next steps we keep you posted with our next steps and testings. Follow us on Instagram to get involved in the process.
Will there be a kickstarter campaign?
For now we are sorting how we can bring the model on the market. A kickstarter campaign could be great thing to do this, but it is not sure yet.
Why has nobody done it bevor?
There have been thoughts about release or safety bindings in water sports. In internet forums you can find articles about people having tried to solve this problem for their own.
Numerous studies in sports science call for more health protection. Already in 1995 the Danish orthopedic specialist Jess Witt first pointed out the safety risk in the trend sport, which has not yet been solved. “Footstraps evidently represent a hazard, and action should be taken towards solving this problem. We suggest that either the footstraps be fitted with a release mechanism or surfers avoid using them,” concluded the doctor in the study “Injuries in windsurfing due to foot fixation”. For 25 years the sporting goods industry has not found a solution to this problem.
The question here is how technology can be used for the benefit of people by avoiding injuries. We are the first company, which really want to make a change and focus on the biggest group, the twintip with footstraps. Here you have the problem that you can accidently slip out of one binding and have suddenly a huge lever, which you can’t control, which can accidently twist your leg.
Which injuries can be prevented?
The Binding is fokusing mainly on rotation injuries. These can lead to serious injuries with long regeneration phases. Those injuries can occour in the lower extremties. Here are about 50% of injuries in Kitesurfing taking place. Mainly affected areas are the foot, ankle with its tendons, lower leg with tiba and fibula, the knee or the hip, like robby naish had his fracture.
We want that you have more time on water and have fun doing what you do, because of that we build the Dalion Kitebinding
How does the mechanism work?
If one foot accidently looses contact to strap the risk of an injury in the other foot is quiet high. Here the mechanism is very important, it can release your foot befor serious injuries happens. The foot operates the lever and releases the strap, due to the release mechanism.
What happens if only one foot release?
Well, we have to splitt this up:
- The release mechanism works throw the twisting of your foot. If your foot is twisted a lot the release mechanism works and give you free. The twisting of one foot seriously enhances the risk of an knee injuries, this a fact also reported by DUOTONE, mentioned in their guide for the stance-angle setting.
- If one foot would twist this strong, that the mechanism is triggered, your foot gets free. Now the dangerous motion for the other foot is again the twisting. Your body pulls your other foot automatically and the strap is released again.
Can the binding release in "normal" kitesituations?
Here the answer is NO. Due to the construction of the DALION Kitebinding, inspired by safety gear like airplane seatbelts, normal upwards pulling on the strap will not release it.
The key to opon the strap is the twisting of the foot in the strap.
How can I adjust the binding to my personal needs?
You have three ways to adjust the binding:
- The force adjuster: Here you can adjust the counterforce of the release trigger.
- The release nodge: Here you can adjust how long the way for the movement to the release is.
- The position of the wingelts: Here you can set the first point of contact with the trigger and your foot.
How do I set it to my personal settings?
For now we have a very basic rule: You set your settings like you feel comfortable outside the water. You try how the mechanism works for you, and which would be the point, where you would like to have the release. The same principle is working with the counterforce. Set it that you can operate the system outside the water and adjust it to your personal favorite adjustment.
If you make the settings to strong or the angel to wide, there risk increases that the mechanism releases too late. Here it is pretty much the same with a ski binding:
- If you are going crazy on the water and you know you will have hard impacts. Set your DALION kitebinding a little bit stronger and with more release angle.
- If you are going out to learn kiteboarding or new tricks and you feel uncomfortable, that you get stuck with one foot during the trick – make the settings a little lighter.
The DALION kitebinding is here to help your mindset and get rid of possible negative thoughts.
We also are currently working with universities to get studies on, what are the perfect settings for different body measurements and skill levels.